CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ice Cream in a Bag

We've been a little MIA for the last week because Alexandra and Camden both got sick. And that meant nothing was really getting done in our house! But today we are back (or yesterday rather) in the kitchen!

Since it was the last week in January I thought that we would do some activities with penguins and make a cold treat. Well we didn't end up doing the penguin activities because we just ran out of time before Camden got up from his nap -and once he's up - I need to be having a close eye on him. He's pulling up, cruising, and well just into everything! No longer are the days when  can lay him on the floor and be sure that he won't move!

Plus, yesterday in PA oddly, on the first of February it was 65 degrees outside! We ended up going to the park instead of staying inside, but we did make homemade ice cream in a baggie as a treat!

I found this recipe on 2 Little Hooligans which I found through Pinterest. I have a nice electric Cuisinart ice cream maker which doesn't even require salt but I thought it would be fun for Alex to make her own homemade ice cream!

All you need is:
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup of light cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coarse salt (I used actual salt that you use for ice cream makers that require it, but next time I may try sea salt or kosher salt)**
enough ice to fill a half a gallon ziploc bag
1 gallon Ziploc bag
1 sandwich bag

All you do is mix the sugar, cream, and vanilla together in a bowl and transfer it to the small sandwich bag. Make sure it seals tightly!! Then fill the gallon bag halfway full with ice cubes. Squish the small bag down into the ice cubes and then pour the salt over the ice and then shake, shake, shake (over the sink!) for 5 minutes or more, depending on how thick you want your ice cream. Let me just say that I shook for 5 minutes and I feel like I got a mini arm workout!!! ** The reason I would use a different kind of salt is that this salt was a little too coarse and poked tiny holes in my small bag. A lot didn't leak out but next time I'll use a name brand stronger bag or use kosher salt.

After the 5 minutes is up check to see if you like the consistency.

We ate the ice cream right after making it and it sure was yummy! Not bad for 5 minutes...but don't eat it too fast or you will get brain freeze!!!!!


 Measuring out the sugar

 Pouring the cream

 Whisk, whisk, whisk

 Pour the mixture into a bag...Alex held the bag for me over the sink as I poured

 Adding the salt

 Ready to shake...she thought it was too heavy for her so I shook the bag

 Ahhh...ice cream! We made vanilla but I have some strawberry ice cream flavoring so we could have made strawberry...but she chose vanilla which is very odd! 

Yummy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment