CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 19, 2012

We're In the Kitchen Wednesday

A lot of blogs I read seem to have "theme" days. Perhaps it is a link up, a day for recipes, a day for crafts, or something else. Currently I don't have anything specific that I post on a certain day but I was thinking about doing "We're In the Kitchen" Wednesdays. I created this blog on a whim because I wanted a separate blog to post activities that I am doing with my preschooler and I thought perhaps I could connect with other moms and share ideas by linking my blog to others. I've had a  family blog for about 3 years, which is linked on my sidebar, and this is where I post family updates such as vacations, activities, milestones and just everyday happenings in our household. It became a way for us to stay in touch with family and friends and in a sense allowed them to watch the kids grow and keep updated even though we are far away from each other.

So I've had this blog now for just under a year and I think I would like to do a theme day on Wednesdays where I will share kid-friendly recipes. I love to cook and be in the kitchen. I'm hoping to teach my kids to cook as well and I hope that they enjoy being in the kitchen as much as I do! Ever since Alex was able to walk I would sit her up on the counter with me as I would make meals and she became my master dumper and stirrer. Now that she is 3 she can do a little bit more (currently I'm trying to teach her to crack and egg) and for Christmas I got her a cute little giraffe whisk, a whale measuring cup, and a scuba diver tablespoon. Now she can use her tools when she helps me. She loves helping me out in the kitchen and I really enjoy teaching her. 

So the first "We're in the Kitchen Wednesday" snack we made was Muddy Buddies. We made these because I had all of the ingredients on hand, they are super easy to make, and they are so yummy! I just followed the recipe over at the Betty Crocker Website. 

So to make Chex Muddy Buddies here is what you do: (I cut my recipe in half from the website - we don't need that many Muddy Buddies around our house! Even the recipe cut in half makes a nice sized snack!)

Ingredients: 
4.5 cups of Chex cereal (I used Giant Brand Rice Chex)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/8 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions: 
Melt Chocolate chips, PB, and butter in the microwave for a minute or so
 Have your sous chef stir the ingredients together once melted (notice the cute giraffe whisk) 
 Once melted add the cereal to the chocolate mixture. Toss and coat the cereal.
 Put the chocolate coated cereal into a gallon plastic bag and add the powdered sugar. Shake the bag (great job for the little ones!)

 Time for a taste test!
 Thumbs up mom! 

And then hide the Muddy Buddies or your 3 year old may eat the whole bag! Although it was a super easy fun treat to make it's not low fat that's for sure! Enjoy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment