CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Frosty and Tortillas

I know it's a weird combination...Frosty's and tortillas. I had all intentions of going to Wendy's to get a Frosty after preschool pickup with Alexandra but she fell asleep on the way home and Camden got a little cranky so I decided it was best to just go home. When I got home and woke Alex up I knew she was going to ask if we were going to Wendy's. I had a plan in mind. I knew I had a recipe pinned on Pinterest that I wanted to try so I told her we were going to make HOMEMADE Frosty's...and stressed HOMEMADE as if that would make it way more exciting. Well she was happy with that (and I was too!) so we made them. And boy did they turn out good!!!!! I should have doubled the batch!


Check out the recipe for the Frosty I used here. There are a few different recipes out there but I used this one because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I'm glad I chose this one because it was a good one!

Next up, I made tortillas because I wanted to make cheeseburger wraps, another recipe I found on Pinterest and for those you needed tortillas. I usually always have them on hand but this day I only had 2 so I decided to make some of my own!

It was actually pretty easy. I mixed up some dough in my mixer, rolled it out, and fried it. It was that easy.
Ingredients:
2.5 cups of flour
1 cup very hot water
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup shortening

Mix the flour and salt together and then add to the mixer. Then add in the shortening. The dough will be crumby but when you add the water it should pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl and should form a ball. (I added even a little more water than the recipe called for until it DID pull away)
 Once it's mixed up divide the dough into balls. I wanted to make 5 fajita sized tortillas so I made them a little bigger. 
 Heat up your skillet on medium low heat. I used my cast iron skillet with a little bit of oil on the bottom. The dough seemed to not stick anyways because of the shortening in it but I wanted to be safe. 
 Take the dough balls and flatten them out with your hand and then use a rolling pin to roll out the dough as thin as you like. I probably could have rolled my dough even thinner. My dough wasn't really that perfect of a circle. I used a glass bowl turned upside down and a pizza cutter to  make them circles so that they would fit in the skillet.

Fry the dough in the skillet and look for bubbles to form...
 Here's a closer look at the bubbles
 Flip the dough over and then fry for another minute or so

Then they are ready to eat! It took a few tortillas before I got the timing down on how brown I wanted them to get. I was wondering if my husband would like them. I didn't tell him I made them homemade. Instead I just made the cheeseburger wraps and then afterwards he told me the wraps were really good. I had to then show him the recipe and the extra tortillas so he would believe me. His next comment was that we didn't have to buy store bought tortillas anymore. Well, I don't think I want to make them homemade every time we need them but at least if we are out of them I have a go to recipe!



0 comments:

Post a Comment